Dr. Kesava Ananth Ramakrishnan
Consultant Pediatric Critical Care
Nationality: United Kingdom
Language Spoken: English, Tamil, Telugu
Dr. Kesava is a paediatric intensivist with more than 20 years of experience in paediatric critical care. After completing the basic specialist training in Paediatrics in India, he pursued higher specialist training in Paediatric critical care medicine in the UK and Australia. Following which, he worked in a tertiary care university hospital as a consultant in PICU for 8 years before moving to UAE. In the UAE, he worked as head of cardiac PICU in Sheikh Khalifa Medical City for 4 and half years before moving to Burjeel Medical City.
He is passionate about patient safety, quality of care, training/education of staff and efficiency of the service. He has implemented the following projects in the previous four years:
- Benchmarking cardiac surgical outcomes
- Admission policy incorporating risk stratification that has cut down the delay in admission of children with critical congenital heart disease
- Early extubating policy
- Rational chest drain removal policy
- Bundle for reduction in PCICU LOS
- Bundle for prevention of Cardiac arrest
- Home monitoring program for palliated patients until second stage surgery
- Organized seminars on congenital heart disease
- Hands on training workshop on pediatric CRRT
In the UK he was part of a dynamic team, which achieved high patient satisfaction and outcome despite expansion of service from 600 admission to over a 1000 admissions per year. He was a lead consultant for clinical practice development and research within the team. Under his leadership, the team participated in many multicentre trials including CHIP, STePS, CATCH, THAPCA and ADAPT.
Dr. Kesava is competent in managing critically ill children from any cause. He has special expertise in postoperative care of children particularly in the area of congenital cardiac surgery. He is an expert in mechanical ventilation, renal replacement therapy and procedures such as central line insertion etc. He is also proficient in management of children on VA and VV ECMO.