Our Neurosurgery Department at Burjeel Medical City – Abu Dhabi provides highest level of medical care to adult and pediatric patients suffering of certain diseases affecting the central and peripheral nervous systems. We function in complete harmony with other departments including Neurology, Radiology, Interventional Neuroradiology, Neurophysiology, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Intensive Care, Orthopedic surgery.
We are the primary care providers of several neurologic diseases, from diagnosis to medical management and surgical intervention, following the most advanced and updated treatments, surgical approaches, and techniques. These neurologic entities include.
- cerebral strokes (hemorrhagic and non-hemorrhagic)
- spontaneous intra-cranial bleeding (hypertensive, aneurysmal rupture, vascular malformation, ...)
- brain, skull and spine tumors
- degenerative spine diseases (disc disease, spinal stenosis, spinal instability)
- traumatic brain, spine and peripheral nerve injuries
- Congenital nervous system anomalies
We can handle all Neurosurgical entities, backed by a super modern operating theater, consisting of spacious operating rooms that are fully equipped with the most advanced technology currently applied in Neurosurgery, and supported by a highly accredited anaesthesia team and an advanced neuro-intensive care unit for close patient care during and after surgery.
Neurosurgical procedures that can be performed at Burjeel Medical City – Abu Dhabi:
- craniotomy for excision of simple and complicated intra-cranial tumors: cerebral, cerebellar, intra-ventricular, brain stem, skull base....
- endoscopic approaches to skull base and pituitary tumors.
- Stereotactic biopsy of deep seated brain tumors
- craniotomy for evacuation of intracranial hemorrhages, spontaneous and traumatic.
- craniotomy for clipping of aneurysms and excision of vascular malformations.
- shunting and diversion of CSF in patients with hydrocephalus.
- Repair of congenital central nervous system anomalies
- lumbar micro-discectomy for patients with disc herniation
- anterior cervical micro-discectomy and fusion
- decompressive lumbar and cervical laminectomy with or without instrumentation for patients with degenerative spine disease.
- decompressive laminectomy and fixation in patients with traumatic spine fractures.
- minimally invasive spine surgery and insertion of percutaneous screws whenever indicated in patients with traumatic spine fractures and degenerative spine disease.
- surgery for excision of spine tumors.
- endo-vascular coiling of aneurysms and embolization of vascular malformations by interventional neuroradiology.
- micro-surgery on peripheral nerves.
Neurosurgical Oncology is a high-level subdivision that emerges from our department and deals with management and surgery on all types of brain and spine tumors. It is incorporated into Burjeel Cancer Speciality, and functions in collaboration with other services including Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Diagnostic Radiology, Anatomical Pathology, Palliative Medicine.
In primary (Glioma, Meningioma) and metastatic brain tumors, as well as in spine tumors, surgery nowadays aims at complete resection while preserving normal brain tissue, to ensure best outcome and longest survival.
What makes the difference in our Neurosurgical Oncology service is the presence of the most advanced image monitoring technology and neurophysiological studies inside the operating room, that tailors surgery on brain and spine tumors to come out with best results. These include:
- The state-of-the-art Kinevo 900 microscope by Carl Zeiss, combining the optical and digital visualization modalities and providing the most advanced surgical certainty. Integrated fluorescence of different wave-lengths provides real-time visualization of intra-operative blood flow, and differentiation between tumor and normal brain tissues.
- The Neuro-navigation computer system, that integrates surgical position into pre-operative MRI, thus providing an accurate localization of entry points, eloquent brain or spinal cord structures and tumor tissue, to yield the best outcome.
- The refined ultrasound machine is also available in all our brain tumor resections for instant real-time intra-operative localization.
- Intra-operative neurophysiological monitoring including cortical stimulation, somatosensory evoked potentials, brain stem evoked potentials, spinal nerve monitoring.
- The utmost advanced image monitoring technique, the intra-operative MRI (INGENIA MR-OR by Philips), has been installed inside the operating room. This is currently the clearest and most accurate real-time modality to intra-operatively assess brain tumor resection and it marks our operating theatre being currently the first and only machine present in the middle east and Gulf region.
Our Ethical Standards
Neurosurgery remains the most critical field in medicine, being mostly life-saving but often associated with hazardous risks and unexpected complications. Our philosophy at Burjeel Medical City – Abu Dhabi is to be aggressive whenever indicated to save lives, with surgical risks and potential complications always well analysed and weighed, keeping human and ethical standards as our ceiling.
Whenever indications for surgery on brain or spinal cord are not clear, or whenever more conservative and non-surgical solutions are still possible, all options, supported by references and scientific facts, will be presented, and discussed with the patients and their families, aiming only at patient’s best neurological outcome.